In astrology, it is never about who is which sign, but what we do with our natal and transiting energy. How do we use what we have and how does our energy affect others? Our emotional behavior is related to the earliest experiences and in some cases prevents the development of all parts of the personality. There may be problems in connecting to others if we do not understand ourselves. Love problems always come from our natal chart as a consequence of rejection that has its roots in childhood.
Different people will expand or contract our natal chart. You have probably noticed that yourself because you do not feel the same with everyone. With some people, it’s just hard to be yourself, and with some, you click on right away. But what exactly is synastry in astrology? Synastry is comparing planets and angles of your natal chart with the same in your partner’s chart.
Quality of synastry aspects is important, especially if the same aspect appears from both viewpoints. If you are interested in this topic then be sure to read my previous posts, too. (all listed on the side in CATEGORIES). When we talk about aspects we will look primarily at personal planets. If they also go through a transit conjunction with the outer planets, then a big change can happen in relationship, because we are changing, too.
Aspects are just a form of the energy context of receiving and transmitting energy. What they are “doing” is extracting your memories from the past, distant or recent. Many karmic relationships struggle with situations that originate from other incarnations, which always cost them love in the end.
Synastry aspects of Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto are generational. They are not so important for love relationships. They often represent karma from a past life due to a different view of life. We will not take aspects outside the element as the main determinants. In the synastry of love relationships, we must assess mutual aspects between Moon, Venus and Mercury as a relationship between emotions, love language and ways of communication. Mars is just as important.
Aspects to ascendant and Moon are vital, but insufficient if the only one. If you have “good aspects” in synastry, but they are not good in your chart, then quality of synastry depends on how much you have balanced natal aspects.
How do we analyze them?
Each natal chart contains contradictions that also occur in synastry. That is why we must always look at the whole, the person and his relationship to himself and others. Mature people will get along and know how to solve challenges, even when they are completely different in temperament. Immature people will use their differences to make mistakes and create problems. Only disintegrated people cannot agree with anyone or maintain a long-term relationship.
We always see aspects as opportunities for growth in relationships. Easy aspects offers less opportunity for lifelong learning than the challenging ones. Easy aspects in synastry are not a guarantee for beautiful relationships. Trine is a form of natural flow and is typically taken as a good aspect while sextile is not so important.
Conjunctions between planets are a sign of a strong connection and personal recognition. They also indicate possible irritations that are related to the shadow of our personality. As much as we are aware of our shadow, it will help us solve blockages on the path of connection and closeness. This depends on the type of planets in conjunction, house and orb.
Other types of aspects
Sign of the planets in aspect is very important especially if we are talking about oppositions that represent the inter-dynamics of partnerships. Oppositions are a form of mutual creation of problems where there is no balance and blame is shifted onto the other. Something happens all the time and disagreements are frequent. Every opposition always contains a point of conflict and a potential equilibrium. It often shows why relationship is difficult.
Relationship is in motion so opposition is less difficult than a square which is static and carries more pressure. Synastry squares define possible difficulties that seem stimulating at the beginning. These are mostly challenges that need to be overcome. Every marriage and long relationship has them, so there is no need to be afraid of them.
If there is no synastry opposition, we observe the main opposition that exists at the level of individual chart. That is the relationship between the ascendant and the seventh house. I wrote about the seventh house in detail explaining qualities we need in a relationship. This does not mean that partner must have Sun or some important natal planet in the sign of the seventh house. We are talking about the quality.
Mutual energy transfer
Partner’s planets give us something and we receive it in the natal house where they ‘fall’. We will both feel this because relationship is about energy fusion. Different manifestations of natal planets modified by transits will also bring a new kind of energy to synastry. We must always consider the context and the situation. That is why synastry with those with whom we are not in a relationship does not make much sense. Existence of aspects does not mean that a relationship will occur.
There are several fear-inducing synastry aspects and I will mention some of them today. It should be noted that if the given synastric aspect appears in a natal chart, this partnership is a karmic gift. Your partner is there to assess how much you have mastered your lessons and how much you are ready to enjoy love.
- Mercury square Mars-aspect of possible communication problems. Relationship can be accompanied by quarrels, aggressive words and frustration. There is a large amount of anger and misunderstanding. Partner attacks us with what he says or reacts to our words negatively.
- Squares of Mars – a mismatch of physical energy where people do everything differently. This is difficult for living together. Motives for action are unclear to them. The other side does not understand why we are doing something. At the beginning of a relationship it can show great sexual attraction.
- Venus square / opposition Saturn – a restrictive relationship that can last, but brings pain. One side does not return love and finds reasons why he cannot fulfill expectations in relationship. Challenges and possible disagreements, a broken heart and a cold yet lasting relationship is often occuring. One side wants to enjoy love, but doesn’t take the relationship seriously. This leads to problems, because partner is looking for seriousness. It is true that both people are afraid to love.
I will also list some of the very beneficial synastry aspects that will alleviate the problems of the aforementioned, but they are by no means the only ones which are ‘good’. You can make any aspect to become good!
- Moon conjunction / trine Jupiter-great love and protection. We feel safe in this relationship. Love grows and the need for children is as strong as creating a family and home. This relationship is a gift, but we must analyze both sign and house. Conjunction in the VI, VIII or XII house is not always beneficial.
- Mercury trine Mercury and aspects with Uranus – similar wavelength and mutual understanding. Relationship progresses and has a friendly tone even after a breakup. Both people enjoy fun and growth. Relationship is active and forces us to step out of the comfort zone. With Uranus aspects is often seen in relationships that start online.
- Venus sextile / trine Saturn is an indicator of a lasting relationship that survives and transcends it all. Relationship has power to overcome problems. These are two old Souls who have known each other for a long time. In this life they can enjoy some good karma they have created. This aspect is much more preferred by the older generations then the younger ones.
Of course, before we make any relationship assessments we will also consult the composite chart. It is possible to calculate it in different ways. Precondition is that both birth times are accurate. Composite chart is calculated by midpoints. This means looking at the midpoint between the same natal points. If your Venus is on 5th degree of Taurus and your partner’s Venus is on 5th of Cancer, then the composite Venus is on 5th degree of Gemini.
There are some other ways of calculating. The most famous is Davison, but not the most reliable. That is why you should never be an astro-fatalist. Astrology should be used to help solve challenges, yet we live our lives and must take responsibility for them. Consulting an astrologer for a synastry analysis should be combined with an open conversation with your partner. Only in that way, with mutual efforts, it is possible to overcome challenges. There will always be love, because it never runs out!